Messians!! We at posterguy.in bring to you Lionel Messi coffee mugs and also some exciting facts about him!!
- His full name is Luis Lionel Andres Messi.
2. Messi was born on June 24, 1987 in Rosario, Argentina.
3. Messi shares his birthplace with the Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevera.
4. His family is of middle-class Italian origin. His father, Jorge, was a steelworker, and he also coached the local youth football team.
5. Messi was not very healthy and nutritious in his childhood days like the other boys around. He was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency which was stopping his normal growth rate at a tender age of 11. His parents could not afford his treatment, which was $900 a month.
6. At the age of 17, he made his league debut against RCD Espanyol and became the third youngest person ever to play on Barcelona.
7. At that time he was also the youngest player to ever score for BarcelonaMessi's first contract with Barcelona was detailed out on a paper napkin! FC Barcelona sporting director Carles Rexach was so impressed with Messi's skills that he wanted to make a contract immediately and there was no paper available at that time.
8. Barcelona was so impressed with Messi's footskills that they offered to pay his medical bills and move the family to Spain just to sign him when he was 13. That probably explains why the contract was first signed on a napkin.
9. During the 2005-2006 season, Messi began being paid as a first team member.
10. Messi holds two passports - Argentina's and Spain's. He became a Spanish citizen in September 2005.
11. His 2005 international debut lasted 47 seconds when he received a red card after coming on as a substitute.
12. He won an Olympic gold medal, along with the Argentinian football team, at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
13. Messi inherited the No. 10 Barca jersey from another great footballer Ronaldinho in the summer of 2008.
14. Along with England's Vivian Woodward (who accomplished the feat in the early 1900s), Messi is the only player to have scored 25 goals in a calendar year during international competition with both his club and his country.
15. He was offered a place in the national team by Spain which he did not accept.
16. Messi is the sixth youngest soccer player to score a goal in a World Cup games.
17. One of Lionel's nicknames is "The Flea" due to his speed and agility.
18. Clearly, impressive soccer skills run in his family. Lionel's cousins Emanuel and Maxi Biancucchi both play for solid clubs in South America, although neither had made the leap to a premier club or senior national team.
19. If for whatever reason, Barcelona decides to cancel their contract with Lionel Messi, they will have to cough up over $330 million for a breach in contract.
20. Two of the musical genres that Messi enjoys listening to are Samba and Cumbi.
21. Lionel Messi is the second richest soccer player in the world with a net worth of $180 million. The most wealthiest is Cristiano Ronaldo who is worth $230 million.
22. Between his contract and endorsements, he makes about $128,000 per day.
23. Messi has been featured on the covers of the Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 video games. He and Fernando Torres are the faces of the Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 video game and helped out with the trailer and motion capturing.
24. Messi is not only a great soccer player, but he's a really good person. Messi is the founder of the organization, Leo Messi Foundation, which helps give children the best opportunities for education and health care. His foundation, with the help of Herbalife, helps to pay for medical treatment, transportation and recuperation for children diagnosed with major medical problems.
25. Messi is also the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
26. Messi is a devout Roman Catholic and he met Pope francis at the Vatican in 2013. "Without a doubt, today was one of the most special days of my life. We have to excel on and off the field," Messi said about the meeting.
27. Lionel Messi is considered by most football experts to be the best footballer of his generation.
28. Messi ranked second behind Neymar in SportsPro magazine's 2013 list of the world's most marketable athletes.
29. Messi is the first football player in history to win four FIFA/Ballons d'Or, all of which he won consecutively, as well as the first to win three European Golden Shoe awards
30. After scoring a goal, Messi typically celebrates in a calm and composed manner by simply raising both hands in the air. This gesture is to thank and pay tribute to his grandmother who was very close to him and passed away when he was 10. Messi believes she is up there and watching her from above and this is his way of showing that he would always be grateful to her.
Hope you loved the facts about Messi! Try our products which are specially designed for football lovers and Messians, we are sure you will love them too..
Like us on: https://www.facebook.com/posterguy